About Me

My photo
New England, United States
Having been unable to break my silence about being gay or bisexual due to living in a conservative New England community, and being an active Mormon as well as being married to a wonderful woman, I will try to do so here. This is the story of parts my life, beginning when I was a young teenage boy. I have learned that being gay or bisexual can, in ways, be a lonely life. I was not actually alone, but many times it felt like I was. As a boy, I thrilled at the discoveries that I had made about my body and my physical and emotional attractions. I despaired when I realized I couldn't tell anyone. There were times when things didn't end well. There were some sad and traumatic experiences. But, there were also many joyful and wonderful life experiences that I wouldn’t have had if I had given in to discouragement along the way. I believe there is joy in living even with the challenges along the way. Be aware that I have been honest and to some degree explicit in my boyish descriptions of my budding sexual awareness. What I have written is what I felt, thought and experienced at the time. These particular posts are marked with a double star **.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

After the Fall, a post script

After reading a post by my dear friend Tony entitled "Shame", I realized that the meaning behind the title of this blog, “Forever Silent”, originates from my feelings of shame. As old as I am and with all my life experience, I am unable to get past the shame of being gay. For myself, I feel that I have come to accept that I am gay but I am still too ashamed for it to be public knowledge. Also, the the shame and discomfort my wife feels about that part of my personality would most likely keep me in the closet for the foreseeable future.




Tony, in his post, spoke about standing, looking out at the river and having details come back to his remembrance about his past experiences, an epiphany of sorts. I had something similar to that happen to me recently.



In an earlier post entitled, "The Fall", I wrote of my special friend David, who had disappeared from my neighborhood and I did not know what had happened to him. As I originally wrote this story, I wrote it in the way that I remembered it. Recently, in another effort to explain, again, to my wife some of my feelings about that time in my life, something returned to my consciousness that I had "forgotten". As I struggled with my emotions, a memory came flooding back to me as to what had happened to him.



Through tears of shame, I explained to my wife how I felt responsible for David's disappearance from his home and later in life, his suicide. She asked me why I would feel responsible. At this point, a window opened up in my mind and the memory came back to me that had remained hidden for decades.



After his disapperance, I learned that David had gotten into a fight with his drunken abusive father. I was not completely sure what the fight was about but I felt at the time and I probably was right, it was about me. It is so amazing to me how we can crowd difficult memories and feelings to the hidden corners of our mind.





David was a tough little kid and when his father started verbally and physically pounding on him, this particular time, he fought back, knocking his father down. David ran away, leaving his father semi-conscious on the floor. Eventually, David would go to his grandmothers home and would never return to live with his parents. I didn’t learn about some parts of this story until some time after his disappearance.

As I look back on the sequence of events that year some things have become quite clear to me. I am quite sure David's father had learned of our physical relationship, of our "summer activities, most likely from his sister who had promised not to tell.

As in other times that David and I had gotten into some trouble together, David's dad most likely called my father to apply the blame where he thought it belonged. My father never said a word to me about it. He probably didn't have a clue how to handle something like having a "queer" son, but the course of our family changed  soon after.

After this incident, we received a call from a local Mormon man who was proselyting for his church by phone. My father answered the phone that night. When he hung up he came into the livingroom where the rest of the family was watching tv. He told us of the conversation he had with this Mormon man and that he had agreed to let the Mormon Missionaries come visit our home and talk to us about their church. We were all stunned at this turn of events. My father had never before shown in any interest in any organized religion. Something or somebody must have changed his thinking. Me?

We met with the missionaries regularly for several weeks and soon after we were all baptised into the "Church". For my part, I readily accepted the teachings of the Church and still to this day believe that it's teachings are true. The Church and its members have been a valuable asset in my life and I am sure that because of it, I am alive today. I am grateful to my father for opening our home to the young Mormon Elders who taught me about our loving Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ. It was a time in my life when I needed the strength and support that this knowledge and all the other aspects of belonging to the Church provided me.

I must admit that I have struggled over the years with the knowledge that I was and am gay/bisexual because these feelings are in direct conflict with the moral standards of the Church.  But, the positive effects which the Church has brought to my life and the lives of my family, have more than outweighed whatever shame, fear and confusion that I have felt over the years. I do hope that someday I can reconcile those negative feelings which still cause me to be ...Forever Silent.

3 comments:

TwoLives said...

What a powerful, moving post. Thank you for sharing.

Shame...I think it's the basis for seven of the eight sides of the closet. The door is different, it's based on fear. Step past your fear and you can step out of the closet. The thing is, even when you look back, the open closet remains, as does the shame.

I'm not Mormon so I don't know what the Church teaches about shame. Are there any New Testament parables about shame? It seems to me it is such a powerful emotion, it must somehow be addressed.

I'm grasping at straws, but maybe if you can reconcile shame in general with the Church, you can reconcile the feelings that cause the shame.

Anonymous said...

Sad story about David. I'm glad your church involvement has been mostly positive for you. I hope you can eventually find the reconcilement you are striving for.

Tony is teaching me a lot about life I never knew before.

tman said...

Wow... I guess I missed this post somehow... I guess I have been deeply absorbed in my myopic musings about life lately! Where DOES the time go?

Goes to show you, Adrian, that we should live in the moment the best that we can, or we end up looking back too much, and wondering how time passed us by...

I'm glad my post 'Shame' touched you the way that it did... It was a gut- wrenching remembrance to write, but I think it was one of my most important ones, looking back.

I have to say that reading about David really upset me. I have real trouble reconciling these kinds of things because I just can't understand why a father wouldn't defend his son with his own life, never mind abuse him to the point he feels useless and has no self esteem left!

And yet, it happens... Time after time. More frequently with gay kids.

I have spent days at a time, terribly depressed to hear yet another story of this evil, irrational behavior. Sometimes, it just seems hopeless.

But then, I realize that we have choices. That we are men now, and have certain power. That if enough of us care, and start to stand against this abuse, wherever we find it, things CAN change... Kids can survive. Even gay kids.

I'm proud to know that you have joined the effort to expose this. To bring to light your experiences in the hope that they might help the weaker amongst us. The kids who deserve to live their lives without shame.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story, Adrian! luv, tman<3

Post a Comment