About Me

My photo
New England, United States
Having been unable to break my silence about being gay or bisexual due to living in a conservative New England community, and being an active Mormon as well as being married to a wonderful woman, I will try to do so here. This is the story of parts my life, beginning when I was a young teenage boy. I have learned that being gay or bisexual can, in ways, be a lonely life. I was not actually alone, but many times it felt like I was. As a boy, I thrilled at the discoveries that I had made about my body and my physical and emotional attractions. I despaired when I realized I couldn't tell anyone. There were times when things didn't end well. There were some sad and traumatic experiences. But, there were also many joyful and wonderful life experiences that I wouldn’t have had if I had given in to discouragement along the way. I believe there is joy in living even with the challenges along the way. Be aware that I have been honest and to some degree explicit in my boyish descriptions of my budding sexual awareness. What I have written is what I felt, thought and experienced at the time. These particular posts are marked with a double star **.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rude Awakening, Part 2

After our physicals, we were allowed to put our new underwear on and moved on to another part of the building.


There we were measured for size and issued a complete set of military clothing and other supplies that we would need for the next few weeks of Basic Training, boots, shoes, hats, socks, more new underwear, fatigues and khaki dress uniforms.






They issued a huge duffel bag to put it all into and an additional black case that we used to put our civilian clothes in. We were then marched back to our temporary barracks. I must have been a sight, trying to carry that huge duffle bag that constantly bumped and banged on the ground because I was so short and it was so heavy.




We were marched back to get lunch.



We were marched to get all the necessary documents produced to make us official U.S. Army “property”. They gave us each a number. Each number had a prefix. Mine was “RA”, Regular Army. I didn’t take me long to find out the “RA” made me a marked person, a target. Everyone knew that it meant that I had enlisted in the Army rather than being drafted. I was to be constantly reminded of my negative RA status during the next three years.



Draftees were given the prefix of “US”. Most of the men and boys I met in basic and with whom I worked with later on, were draftees. I found, pretty much immediately, that draftees didn’t have a very high opinion of anyone who had freely enlisted in the Army.



There was one other prefix that was notably different and received as much or more attention than “RA’s” and that was “NG”, for National Guard otherwise known as “Weekend Warriors”. The drill sergeants and the other permanent party (staff) would usually put them in charge of mundane work details and generally harass them due to their National Guard affiliation.



We were marched to get name tags to wear around our necks. In the event that we were later killed they would know who we were. They stamped our names on them. They stamped our new military serial numbers on them. They stamped our blood type and they stamped our religious preference on them. They were called “Dog Tags”.



When I was asked me what my religious preference was, Catholic or Protestant, I just casually said neither. The young Private taking the information was obviously getting confused easily. “He must be a Yankee fan”, I thought to myself. (Oops, sorry Yankee fans)



I told him again that I was neither a Catholic nor a Protestant.



“Ya got to be one or t'other”, he said.



I was new to the outside world but even I knew there were other religions around. I then told him I was a Mormon.



“A what?”



“A MORMON”, I repeated.



“Never heard of that before….Ok….If you say so.”



The next day when we were marched back to get pick up our shiny new dog tags, I found that my new tags had my religious preference as “Morman”. I always laughed afterward whenever I read my tags, that appeared to announce that I was More man. I also wondered afterward how long that Private stayed a Private.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure brings back memories!

Anonymous said...

Sounds exactly like I witnessed at Ft. Jackson and Ft. Lee and many others...

And I'll bet the Private got promoted for inventing a new religion!

Peace <3
jay

Anonymous said...

lol...I love the dog tags stuff, Adon! Mor man... lol. Wow. If they only knew, eh?

I have my tags tucked away in my sock drawer in a jewelry box that I have...I'm not sure why I keep them there or why I keep them at all, but I do...

One of the kids that I mentored and who I took care of from age 13- 20, found them one day, after school, when I was working... I came home to find him wearing them and his buddies gawking like they were the coolest things they had ever seen... He asked me if he could keep them, and I told him no. I remember telling him that someday, maybe he could earn his own...(???!!!) I'm not really sure why I did that. I guess it was because he came from a generation that had no war, no draft, very little personal tragedy... no loss of priceless friends. It offended me, I suppose, that he could be so nonchalant about them, even tho it wasn't his intention.

So, this post brings some strange but strong feelings to the surface. I guess I attached more significance to the tags than I should have, maybe because I pictured, from time to time, lying on a gurney, and having a corpsman look at my dog tags to record my serial number as my body made the trip back to the States. It never happened that way, but I imagined it enough that they started to represent that after a while.

well, anyways, thanks for the post, kid! It brought back some things that I had frankly forgotten... luv, tman<3

Beck said...

This is an amazing journal of a world I've never known, but only heard about. Thanks for sharing... and keep it coming!

Post a Comment